POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Attempting recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Attempting recovery
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Sep 2008 06:00:30
Message: <48c4f7be$1@news.povray.org>
Well... she decided to take it elsewhere first, but they failed to fix
it. So now the drive has come to me. (For anybody who missed it, YES,
this is a USB flash drive, NOT a USB HD.)

I booted up KNOPPIX and plugged the drive in. It's reported as 64 MB. (I
don't know if that's actually correct.) I was able to copy the entire
contents using dd.

I just had a look at a hex dump of the file. The first few million
octets are 0xFF. Then there's a block of 0x00. And then there's a block
of seemingly random bytes which may be actual data.

I'm not an expert in such matters, but I was under the impression that
the very first few octets is supposed to be a partition table. So it
looks like that block has somehow got fried, which is why nothing is
working now. It also looks like at least some usable data might still be
there.

The oddessy will continue...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/